Are you missing one or multiple permanent teeth? Do you want to restore the smile’s appearance and function? Dental implants can provide an exceptional tooth replacement option that restore natural function and aesthetics.
Implants are titanium posts surgically fixed in the jawbone. After dental implants fully heal, they provide support for a tooth crown, denture, or dental bridge. Dental implants restore normal bite function and natural smile aesthetics. Dr. Benson has advanced training in the placement of all types of dental implants for replacing one or more missing teeth.
Why Should You Replace Missing Teeth?
Even if you only have a single missing tooth, several dental problems can begin to occur due to lost teeth:
- Shifting Teeth: Natural teeth can shift if patients do not fill the gap in their smile left by missing teeth. Sometimes, the shifting teeth can overcrowd, leaving patients more prone to decay and bite issues.
- Gum and Dental Infections: Harmful bacteria can quickly collect in the socket left by a missing tooth. Furthermore, if a patient loses a permanent tooth or teeth due to decay and does not treat their infection, the infection can spread to other teeth.
- Bite and Speech Problems: One or multiple missing teeth can create an uneven bite. Over time, this uneven bite can place more pressure on the temporomandibular joints, leading to bruxism, headaches, and orofacial pain. Lost permanent teeth can also make it more difficult for patients to speak clearly.
Dental implants and other implant-secured restorations provide lasting support for patients missing permanent teeth.
Dental Implant Treatment in Sarasota
Before implant treatment, we ensure that patients are good candidates for treatment. We also ensure that there are no outstanding dental problems like cavities or gum disease before treatment. To begin, we place the titanium implant post in the jaw bone and attach a healing cap to the implant. Over a period of three to six months, the implant fuses to the jaw bone. This process is called osseointegration. We can create dental crowns for single missing teeth. Additionally, we work with local labs to create more detailed restorations like dental bridges and dentures.
Dental Implant FAQs
Learn more about implants with answers to these common questions:
Am I a dental implant candidate?
We recommend implants for patients who are in good oral health with healthy jaw bone tissue. However, we can recommend bone grafting services to add healthy bone tissue where it is needed. Our dental team can also provide root canal treatments or periodontal therapy.
What should I avoid after implant treatment?
Following dental implant treatment, avoid:
- Smoking and using tobacco products
- Intense exercise
- Aggressive brushing and rinsing
- Chewy, crunchy, and hard foods
- Hot foods or beverages
How do I sleep after dental implant treatment?
You should ensure your head is elevated during sleep for two to three days after surgery. Sleeping with your head propped up at a 45-degree angle encourages the healing process. Laying flat will constrict the blood flow to the treated areas.
Schedule a Dental Appointment Today
Contact our Sarasota dental office for restorative dental care at 941-270-9755. You can also schedule a dental consultation with us online.