Melvin Benson Jr., DDS, FAGD
Dr. Melvin Benson Jr., DDS, FAGD, is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center College of Dentistry (2006), which is among the top clinical education programs in the nation. Dr. Benson has authored a book titled Changing the Way You Go to the Dentist, and in 2018 he became one of the elite 6% of general dentists to earn a Fellowship from the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD).
With almost 750 hours of post-doctoral education, Dr. Benson is passionate about advanced dental technology and life-long learning through professional development and continuing education. Prior to purchasing his dental practice in Sarasota, FL, Dr. Benson owned and ran a large dental practice in Greeley, Colorado, for almost nine years.
Due to health concerns for his wife Jenny, his family opted to trade in their snow boots for flip-flops in 2021, to improve her quality of life. He looks forward to sharing his experience and his expertise with each new patient.
Dr. Benson was hand selected to purchase Integrated Dental and care for his patients. Following the philosophy “Inform before we Perform,” Dr. Benson believes in building a longstanding partnership with his patients.
He uses advanced dental education and techniques, comprehensive and honest treatment plans, and genuine attentiveness to the needs of each patient. What sets Dr. Benson’s Sarasota dental office apart from other dentist offices is the time he takes with each patient to understand their unique health history and their personal dental needs and goals.
Outside of the Office
When he is not practicing dentistry or attending continuing education courses, Dr. Benson enjoys spending time with his family. He has been married to his wife, Jenny, for over twenty years, and they have two beautiful children, Rachel and CJ. The Benson family enjoys Jeeping, fishing, boating, watching/playing football, and traveling.
While living in Greeley, CO his family was actively involved in the community, including supporting the Marine Corps JROTC program, organizing the annual Freedom Day USA free dental event, participating in other Greeley community events such as the Festival of Trees and Movie Nights, and volunteering with other religious and civic organizations. They look forward to being involved in the Sarasota community as well.
Education & Experience
- Louisiana State University School of Dental Medicine: Multi-Disciplinary Residency in Oral Facial Pain, TMD Disorders, and Dental Sleep Medicine
- The Dawson Academy: The Dawson Academy Core Curriculum, Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Sleep Disorders, and TMD Diagnosis and Treatment Masters Track
- Pikos Institute: Creating Surgical Excellence®: Alveolar Ridge Strategies: Single Tooth to Full Arch Reconstruction and Pikos Symposium: Full Arch Immediate Implant Reconstruction
- McGarry Implant Institute: Clinical Residency in Implant Surgery, Bone Grafting, and Restoration, Oral Medicine, Oral Diagnosis, and Oral Pathology, and Into Thin Air: Maxillary Sinus Augmentation
- DOCS Education: Certification in Adult Conscious Sedation
- Anesthesia Education and Safety Foundation: Anesthesia and Pain Control, Oral Sedation, and Conscious Sedation
Awards, Professional Affiliations, And Community Service
- Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry
- 5280 Top Dentist 2020, 2021, and 2022
- The Best of Greeley and Weld County Magazine’s Best Dentist 2015-2019
- First Place in the Greeley Tribune’s Winning Workplace Healthcare & Social Assistance 11-50 Employees
- Member of the Academy of General Dentistry
- Member of the Dawson Academy Alumni Association
- Co-Founder for the Dawson Study Club of Colorado and former Study Club Leader
- Member of the American Academy of Osseointegration
- Freedom Day USA participant 2013-present; provides free dental care to active military, veterans, and their spouses.
- Annual Marine Foundation Toys for Tots Toy Drive 2013-present
- Compete to Beat Hunger participant with the Weld County Food Bank
- The “Schools for a Healthy Lifestyle” Adopt-a-Dentist of the year for promoting dental education for school-aged children
- “Hometown Hero Award” from the Oklahoma Dental Foundation for his extensive work with Children’s Dental Needs of Oklahoma.
- Worked with the Oklahoma Dental Foundation’s Mobile Dental Care Unit providing dental care to patients in rural and impoverished areas.